Thread: Adding a "semi active valve" to Supertrapp?

Tadek Guest

Default Adding a "semi active valve" to Supertrapp?

Hi!

I would like to start a new thread for this topic.

As mentioned in my other thread, I believe that my Buell X1 is too loud for German authorities when running the 2.5" US header with 4" internal disc Supertrapp muffler and an adequate number of discs.

Therefore I considered removing some discs and installing a "semi active valve" additionally to the discs. Those valves are for example installed in the exhausts of VW Polo GTI cars. This is a spring preloaded poppet valve with an integrated diaphragm actuator. Once a certain back pressure is reached, the pressure acting on the actuator causes a force which is higher than the spring preload and the valve opens therfore opening an additional cross sectional area.
    If you would like to get a better idea you can visit the following website, which shows a drawing of this valve:
    http://www.atzonline.de/Artikel/3/30...daempfers.html
    Unfortunately I could not find an english version of this article.

I have one of those valves and I think it would fit into the 4" muffler behind the discs.
    Could you tell me how much back pressure is caused by a Buell running a supertrapp muffler at full load? I believe you need approx. 200mbar for the valve to open.

What do you think of this?

Best regards,

Tadek

bschultz Guest

The core assembly used in the X1 mufflers are 2.5", the same as the collector. The only restriction/back pressure that is created is determined by the amount of discs (+end-cap) you attach to the end of the muffler/core.
    We do flow testing; however do not get into back pressure testing.
    You would most likely find the information you are looking for from the Engineers at Buell that built the motor.