Thread: 2 Questions

Nate R Guest

Default 2 Questions

I just bought an 84 Honda XL600.

It has a SuperTrapp on it. Previous owner tried removing the end cap right before he sold it to me thinking it would help with starting, as the bike was not starting. He lost most of the screws. The 2 that are left are stripped or something, as I can't get them farther in or out.

What size are the endcap screws for the 4" system? (Normal exposed disc type)

Also: how do I decide whether to get a 3" or 4" to replace this? I don't see 600CC bikes listed for the 3". Mostly smaller singles with that size. Does that mean I should use a 4" to replace the one on my bike?

bschultz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nate R View Post
    I just bought an 84 Honda XL600.

It has a SuperTrapp on it. Previous owner tried removing the end cap right before he sold it to me thinking it would help with starting, as the bike was not starting. He lost most of the screws. The 2 that are left are stripped or something, as I can't get them farther in or out.

What size are the endcap screws for the 4" system? (Normal exposed disc type)

Also: how do I decide whether to get a 3" or 4" to replace this? I don't see 600CC bikes listed for the 3". Mostly smaller singles with that size. Does that mean I should use a 4" to replace the one on my bike?
    You most likely have a 4" Aluminum Racing Series with 6 screws holding the disc assembley to the muffler. The screws are 10-24 X 2" long. The muffler assembly is servicable and the core can be removed to replace (tack weld) the nuts on the inside.

Nate R Guest

Excellent!

Certainly appears to be what I have. There are 6 screws. For some reason I assumed they were metric.

Next question is: How do I remove the core? Can I just use a 1.5" dowel rod from the inlet side to push it out?

If so I'll remove it, replace the tack welded nuts and repack it. Having a forum like this is excellent customer service. I've never dealt with SuperTrapp anything before, but I'm REALLY liking what I've seen so far. (And I'm a business owner in the motorcycle industry myself!)
    Last edited by Nate R; 11-05-2007 at 11:55 AM.

bschultz Guest

Yes, that is exactly how to do it. Remove any screws on the outside of the muffler body and use a good quality penatrating oil, like PB Blaster on the inside both ends of the muffler. The core should come out with a little persistance and patience.