PDA

View Full Version : summit discs

jpb221
10-13-2009, 12:55 AM
I just recently aquired a 4" 2:1 supertrapp for softail. It has no discs or bolts. Will the discs that summit sell work for this pipe? part number SUP-404-6512 Also there are two bolts broke off in the allen head like retainers in the baffle. Can I just drill them out and re-tap the holes? It seems as the allen like retainers are loose on a couple as well. Can these be re-welded? One more question I have a 95" with andrews 26g cams and milled heads, how many discs would you recommend. I'm thinking about using the open end cap as I want the most sound out of the pipe.
Thank you

bschultz
10-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Yes, the discs accessories Summit Racing sells are the same. Yes the screws can be drilled out and re-tapped (10-24 thread) and the nuts can be welded. I would suggest removing the core assembly from the muffler body to make the repair easier. You should find a couple of screws on the outside of the muffler body near the exit end. After removing these button head screws work at knocking out the core with a hammer and wooden dowel (or piece of broom handle) from inlet end. Depending if the core has ever been out before and how old the unit is, you may need some penetrating oil, maybe a little heat, lots of persistence and patience. When reassembling, use an Anti-seize compound/lubricant on the screw threads to avoid future issues.
We would recommend 18-20 discs with the closed end-cap or 8-10 discs with the open end-cap.

jpb221
10-14-2009, 01:33 PM
how long are the scres that take 12+ discs?

bschultz
10-14-2009, 01:40 PM
http://store.supertrapp.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_4&products_id=39

jpb221
10-18-2009, 02:38 PM
thanks for all your help, I got the muffler body off and the baffle off I just now need to remove broken bolts.

jeff
10-24-2009, 02:26 PM
I have a 95", 06 heads cced to 83cc's, andrews 26G's and run 18 closed and 10 open. both feel exactly the same seat of the pants. open of course is louder but not obnoxious by any means. When traveling I usually go with the closed end cap. I have tried every concievable combo of discs and this is what i found works best. Oh and carbed.