PDA

View Full Version : Kerker Supermeg 128-71453

roscoes2
09-12-2009, 11:34 PM
hi

have just fitted the supermeg to a "freshly" rebuilt evo. age is obviously catching up with me, as my ears are still ringing after the first 300 miles with this exhaust.
i read in the achive section that the head pipes for the 2 into 1's were the same for both the kerkers and the supertraps so it should be possible to purchase the supertrap muffler with discs and fit it.
do they also share common heat shields for the muffler and would you be kind enough to supply the supertrap muffler part number if the change i am considering is possible.

regards

Ross

jwells
09-14-2009, 07:25 AM
It is absolutely possible to put the other muffler on that pipe, heat shields will all line up fine.
Expect about 250 for the complete muffler, you will have to contact customer service at 216-265-8400.
Thanks.

roscoes2
09-14-2009, 02:06 PM
hi

thanks for your reply. i have contacted your customer services regarding purchasing the "Supertrapp" muffler.

in the interim I have removed the kerker muffler from the bike and taken out the baffle. this exhaust sytem has been on the bike less than two weeks and has covered just over three hundred "run in" miles since.

initially, for the first 250 miles the muffler produced a reasonable exhaust note, it then changed to an extremely loud, head ringing racket. the reason for this was the muffler packing. there must have been a shortage of material at the factory on the day it was put together, as in places it did not wrap completely around the baffle leaving gaps of up to an inch unpacked.

i have purchased replacement packing material here in New Zealand and yesterday repacked the baffle. i also tig welded two small pieces of stainless rod in the inside of the perforated baffle on the engine end. this makes it possible when you want to remove the baffle to "ease it" out with a punch and hammer.

the muffler has returned to its origional note.

regards
Ross

roscoes2
09-14-2009, 05:12 PM

photo showing the incomplete packing. it appears as though this area has "burnt out" due to the gaps in the packing.
exhaust system less than two weeks old.......300 miles done "running in" a fresh mild evo which hasn't been introduced to the main jet yet.

46 slow jet
n72s needle
185 main
3010 v-thunder
manley valves and springs
.40 thou off heads with .30 mls cometic head gasket

cant see this exhaust lasting too long on it.

regards
Ross

jwells
09-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Thanks Ross, looking at the picture, there really isn't anything wrong with that packing? Granted from the angle you can not tell the thickness of the material used? But honestly, you could ride a bike 50 miles and have that sort of coloring in the packing? Packing material does typically turn dark pretty quick from heat and then stays that way.
Keep in mind, the shape of the megaphone, it will be thinner on the inlet end also. But regardless, you have re-packed it and it seems to be working fine and that is good. I do like your idea of having the rods in there to use to pull the core out with? Makes it easy, although they do upset flow slightly.