PDA

View Full Version : Sound level comparison: Supermeg to CVO/Fullsac 1.75: how many discs?

Pajoe
09-08-2009, 04:00 AM
I am looking for someone that has switched from the stock Harley headers system using the 4" CVO mufflers fitted with the 1.75 Fullsac baffles to the 2:1 SupeterTrapp Supermeg. I am concerned about the sound level, and need to know about how many discs will equal that particular sound level. I have read about stock comparisons and number of discs but am interested in the CVO/Fullsac 1.75 combination.

The ideal answer will be something like: "We had the 4" Cvo/fullsac 1.75/stock headers combination on our 110"ci and it is about as loud as my Supermeg with ?? discs."

I posted a similar question in the Harley CVO forums but apparently no one there has switched from the CVO/ Full sac baffles to the Supermeg.

thanks in advance

joe

jwells
09-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Can't tell you how it would compare with the mufflers you had, we don't test other brands products for sound comparision.

But on your bike we can suggest starting with 16-18 discs and try that. Be sure to use liberal amounts of the supplied anti-seize grease on the threads in the muffler.

Pajoe
09-09-2009, 04:13 AM
Thanks,

I have not decided to purchase the Supermeg yet as I want to be reasonably sure about the sound level. So far the only setup that has a sound level we can handle for long periods with our carbureted 113ci (103.96hp/114.05tq) has been the CVO/Fullsac combination. I understand the 2:1 will give better performance but if I have to reduce the discs too low to get an acceptable sound level it seems it will defeat the purpose.

I was hoping to find someone else that has made the switch, to get an idea what the difference will be. The way it is now I have no idea how loud it will be. On other forums, I have read some guys with big inch engines are using as high as 26 discs with the closed end caps to get the performance gains they wanted.

bschultz
09-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Your approach to your query is good, frequent as many forums, search engines, dealers, riding events and even your local bike nights with your question. In todays information saturated enviroment there is a chance another rider/entusiast may have and share they're experience to assist you with your decision.
It's well known in the motorcycle industry that the SuperTrapp SuperMeg is one of the quietest (if not the quietest) after market 2:1 Performance Pipe available.

Pajoe
09-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks, I will continue to watch the forums but don't think we will start going to dealers, biker events or group rides as my wife and I prefer to ride alone. I have read the Supermeg is the quietest 2:1 available, and I am sure I can make it as quiet as my current setup, but don't know what that will cost in performance. It is not worth $700 for me to have very little performance gain, on the other hand if it is 10% it is worth considering.

thanks again,

joe