PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Tune

Dakotazeb
08-03-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm thinking about getting a set of Fatshots for my '03 SERK. I have a Stage 1 air kit and a PowerCommander on the bike now. Once I find the proper number of discs for the sound I want I would like to have the bike Dyno tuned. But I've read on this site that dyno tuning isn't possible because the tuner can't get the probe through the muffler and up into the headpipe. Is this true?

kz550
08-03-2009, 10:18 PM
That's true for closed end-cap dyno "tuning" where they need to insert a gas analyzer into the exhaust. Open end-cap Supertrapp exhaust applications would be tunable by the gas analyzer. And like you may have read in what I put in the other thread, tuning by the seat of your pants and/or a stopwatch will give you the desired results for most street applications. Supertrapp's Web site FAQs (http://www.supertrapp.com/resource/faqs.asp#9) are a good reference point.

Case in point, I added a universal closed end-cap last year to my ZX-9r. I started with 6 discs, tinkered with the jetting (for my high elevation) and eventually settled on 9 discs, in the same manner as Supertrapp describes. The bike's power has no comparison to stock anymore and keeps my jetting right in its sweet spot at any altitude. I don't believe those other dyno tuned pipes can do that, unless the bike is also fuel injected. Mines not.

hugger
08-03-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm thinking about getting a set of Fatshots for my '03 SERK. I have a Stage 1 air kit and a PowerCommander on the bike now. Once I find the proper number of discs for the sound I want I would like to have the bike Dyno tuned. But I've read on this site that dyno tuning isn't possible because the tuner can't get the probe through the muffler and up into the headpipe. Is this true?

The SuperTrapp can be Dyno tuned by drilling a hole in the closed endcap for the probe. Some of the dealers have an extra endcap with a drilled hole for this procedure. If not you will have to purchase an extra closed endcap so you have it when they have completed the process.