PDA

View Full Version : Can't DynoTune my SuperTrapp Slip ons?

troydba
07-26-2009, 07:20 AM
I tried to have a dealer dyno-tune my 2006 Road King Custom which has SuperTrap Slip-ons, and they told me that the slip-ons are not a tunable muffler. Huh? I asked them what the hell they were talking about...

Turns out that they couldn't insert the probes without drilling a 1/4 hole and they didn't want to ruin the muffler.

What should I do? Anyone have similar experiences and find a solution like a smarter dealer LOL.

Thanks,
Troy

kz550
07-26-2009, 11:30 AM
That makes sense, if they're trying to get a CO2 reading from inside the exhaust pipe. Personally, I think dyno tuning charts are cool to have for show and tell, but through a little experimentation you'll know when she's tuned right, just by adding removing diffuser discs. I believe Supertrapp recommends starting with 10-12 discs or something close to the maximum. Ride it, then take two off and ride it, etc.

I have two setups for my ZX-9r slip-on Supertrapp. 8 discs for long range touring (high MPG) and 9 discs and a jet needle shim spacer for canyons. Either setup beats the hell out of the stock exhaust, especially when I travel from sea level to 7,000 ft mountain summits all in the same day. I don't believe there is another exhaust pipe out there that can keep a carbureted motorcycle engine in its sweet spot, like a Supertrapp can.