PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Big Bear Sled

jws
06-19-2009, 12:42 AM
I purchased a 2009 Big Bear. It has a Supertrapp system that looks like the Low Roller system. These are nice but way to quiet. I took the disks and end cap out and it made no difference. I read the stuff about adding and subtracting the disks to tune the system. I am looking for a quantum leap in loudness. How do I make these things annonying loud. Are the baffels removable or is there another tail section that can be put on. I would have preferred something like the Road Ledgend Phanton Pipes. Unfortunatly, I purchased the bike with the S&S X-Wedge engine and there appears to be little to no options for this new engine or so says S&S. Can I get some guidence and help?

jwells
06-19-2009, 08:04 AM
There is a Performance core available; 100-7137, it is 195.00.

It comes with everything so you can just slide out the existing core and slip this in.

The stock core is made to meet the 80db drive by and EPA emissions requirements-so it is very restrictive and very quiet.

jws
06-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks. I understand and appreciate the the EPA comment. If people in cars took note of us or heard 80 DB I would be OK.
Can you take a quick look at the attached pictures. My only concern is that I might be misidentifing my exhaust system - the end of my pipes don't exactly look like your catalog. The tip on mine do not look like they have an interchangable tip.

jwells
06-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Yours does not have the interchangeable end because it is made specifically for BBC. The core is the same though.

jws
06-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks. I just ordered the baffel a couple of minutes ago. I assume for max effect (noise) all I do is put the end plate with the whole in it on. After that If I do not like it I can play around with the discs as discussed in the catalog.

jwells
06-19-2009, 03:33 PM
You got it.

Go ride it, have fun.

jws
06-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Thank you for all of the help today.

jwells
06-22-2009, 08:25 AM
No problem

jws
07-01-2009, 10:54 PM
I have the performance core. It is wrapped in a cover. I originally thought it was a protective shipping bag until I pulled the core from the pipe on the bike

Is this wrap to keep the pipe from discoloring from the heat from the core or is it part of the baffling of the sound?

jwells
07-02-2009, 08:28 AM
That is the Packing Material.
It helps absorb sound.

jws
07-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Sorry to keep bugging you.

Base on your reply .. then what is the downside of not using the fiber wrap abound the core. Based on your last reply can I assume that the rear pipe will not discolor from the exhaust heat if I do not install the fiber wrap around the core?

For grins I started the bike with the secondary pipe completly off the bike and quite frankly that was more or less the sound I was looking for .... but if leaving the fiber wrap out of the pipe (not wrapped around the core) turns the chrome pipe blue - that does not work for me at all.

jwells
07-02-2009, 10:22 AM
The packing absorbs sound, without it you know how loud it is.

Either way, the less restrictive core (packing or no packing) will be greatly outflowing the original quiet system and should be re-tuned to have adequate fueling. I would suggest looking into that as well. Running lean becasue of the increased flow will turn the pipe blue. So, re-tune it and you should be fine.

Personally I think it will run better and sound better with it, but sound is subjective and there in no right or wrong answer.