PDA

View Full Version : Road king 3"internal disc mufflers

Oliver
06-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Hello,

I bought a 2000 HD roadking a couple of years ago, it came with the 3"internal disc mufflers,Tapered cone ends.

I opened the muffler recently, to see if I could improve the sound(make it louder), the mufflers have 25 discs, and I'm happy with the performance.
What can I do to have it sound louder,
If I take all the disc away, so that the backpressure dissapears, the sound will probably improve drastically, but what will happen with the performance, will it decrease drastically, or will it just be a minor drop, since there are already 25 discs in anyway,

Thanks in advance for the advise

jwells
06-15-2009, 03:04 PM
It's got 25 on each side?
That is a lot, at that point you are outflowing the core? You could take them completely off and try it, it will sound a little different without any discs on there.
Try it.

Oliver
06-16-2009, 04:33 AM
Thanks for the Quick reply,
It has 25 on the right, and 26 on the left.
I tried without the discs, but not much difference in sound, altough a lot more backfiring.
On the left the discs look pretty black.
You sounded a little surprised with the number of discs installed.
Should I try less discs?

Thanks,
Oliver

jwells
06-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Sounds like you have a true dual head pipe set up?
More than 22 discs is pointless, they are effectively doing nothing.
Why the different number of discs? Assuming someone just miss counted?
In proper tune, the discs should look the same on both sides?

Sounds like it probably has an aftermarket tuner on it?

Since you want it louder, there really isn't anything you can do to get more sound with those mufflers. The next step to consider would be the Kerker mufflers with the 'Mikuni Cores'. They are probably the loudest muffler we make.