PDA

View Full Version : internal disc mufflers for HD end caps

STclueless
05-08-2009, 08:47 AM
hello,

I'm interested in a set of internal disc mufflers for my '02 HD Road King (628-78055), but I'm not happy with the end cap choices. Can I run without end caps, or can I use the Super Elite slip-on muffler end caps?

how many discs can the stock bolts handle (meaning at what point to I need to increase the bolt length)? I'm planning on running up to 18 per side.

thanks,
clueless

hugger
05-08-2009, 11:22 AM
hello,

I'm interested in a set of internal disc mufflers for my '02 HD Road King (628-78055), but I'm not happy with the end cap choices. Can I run without end caps, or can I use the Super Elite slip-on muffler end caps?

how many discs can the stock bolts handle (meaning at what point to I need to increase the bolt length)? I'm planning on running up to 18 per side.

thanks,
clueless

Hi there! Unfortunately you can not use the SuperElite or Kerker endcaps they are not manufactured to fit the SuperTrapp IDS mufflers. The screws you have will hold up to 20 discs.

STclueless
05-08-2009, 11:59 AM
thanks for the reply.

is running without the end caps an option?

jwells
05-11-2009, 07:20 AM
You can run without the end caps, because it is then a larger exhaust exit, it may be a bit louder than if you had and end cap with a slightly smaller exit?
Like anything, sound is subjective as are looks and it's all part of owning a HD?
Good luck with it and have fun.

STclueless
06-08-2009, 10:57 AM
The screws you have will hold up to 20 discs.

I bought the ID mufflers and I'm very pleased. I'm running 18 discs now, and I'd like a little more flow. The instructions said that the affective max number of discs is 22 since the baffle becomes the constraint at that point. I was thinking about adding 3 discs to each side (6-pack disc set). Where do I get screws long enough for 21 discs?

also, if I decide to go with an open end cap...how many discs in conjunction is the maximum before the baffle is the constraint again?

jwells
06-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Those screws will hold up to 22 disc, you ok.

The previous note was in regards to the 4" units that only hold up to 20-sorry for the confusion.