PDA

View Full Version : Star Billet Endcap

Stubby
05-02-2009, 01:07 AM
I just bought a used Supermeg 2:1, and it came with a Star Billet polished aluminum end cap and 14 disks.

I read in another thread that these caps are meant only as decoration and should have a closed cap underneath.

Does anyone run them as open end caps, and if so, would the same 10 disk ratio still apply?

My bike is a '92 Fatboy with 80 inch stock motor, with a SE air filter and backing plate, and stock jetting as far as I know.

Should I maybe take out about 4 or 5 disks as a starting point, or should I buy a closed cap to install under it?

Thanks for any input.
Stubby

jwells
05-04-2009, 08:59 AM
They were not meant to be run as an open end cap, the heat and exhaust gasses are not friends of aluminum. I would suggest getting a closed cap and possibly some more discs.
It only had 14 discs? that is not very many? We supply the systems with a pack of 20. The only pipes we send out with only 14 discs are OEM systems that utilize a very restrictive core and are designed to meet the 80 DB drive by standards. Was the pipe actually made for your bike? Do you have a part number on it? If not, there is a part number stamped into the head pipe at the collector, it would be 050-XXXX. Look up that number and see what you have.

Stubby
05-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks Jwells,

I found the part number on the inlet on the muffler, and it is 027-7144. Is this the correct one for my bike?

The guy that I bought it from ran it on his Dyna for 2 years, with the 14 disks and the Billet Star end cap, but I don't think it was ever tuned, as the header pipes look like they have been quite hot. It doesn't look like the aluminum cap has any problems with the heat, as it still looks almost new after polishing it.

I first put it on my bike last week with the 14 disks and the billet end cap, it ran not bad, but my spark plugs were very white(lean), so I took out 5 disks and tried again. With the 9 disks, it was lacking power in the midrange, so I took out 4 more disks, leaving 5 in the muffler and using the billet star end cap. It now has more power than it has ever had with the stock pipes both in the low range and the high range. It runs beautifully. It sounds great and is a pleasure to ride. I only rode it about 100 miles yesterday, but I checked the spark plugs when I got home and they are still quite white. I was thinking of taking out a couple more disks to try it, but I don't want to restrict it too much.

I was wondering if I could get by with this, or if I should buy a closed end cap.

Thanks
Stubby

Stubby
05-04-2009, 11:02 PM
I finally found the part number om my header pipe. I had to take the muffler off to locate it. The part number is 050-7145.
How can I check if that is the system with the restrictive core or not?

Thanks
Stubby

jwells
05-05-2009, 11:59 AM
That is an older discontinued system for the Dyna, standard performance core muffler.
That muffler with 10-14 discs and closed end cap on a stock bike should run fine? It should not be running 'Too Lean', maybe on the lean side, but not that bad? That start end cap you have should be slightly more restrictive than our normal Open end cap, so that with 4-5 discs should be pretty good?
If it's running really hot, you may check for air leaks on the intake side also just to be safe.
Also, are they new plugs? new when you put the pipe on? if not, then you are not getting an accurate reading. If it is running good, and responsive, it's probably ok, if it was that far of either direction you would know by poor performance.

Stubby
05-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks jwells,
You have been very helpful. I was going to buy a closed endcap, but since it runs so nice now, and it sounds really nice. Not very loud at idle, but it barks really nice on throttle. I think I'll ride it as it is for now and keep checking my plugs, and eventually buy a new one. The supermegs are an awesome pipe.

Thanks again, much appreciated

Stubby

jwells
05-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Sounds good Stubby, thank you.

Jeff