PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the right ones

Russell L. Brasher
04-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Can anyone help me find supertrapps for my 2004 intruder 1400? Have been looking so long my eyes have fallen out.:eek:

ginap
04-29-2009, 06:48 AM
Hope your eyes have recovered! :p

While we don't make a specific exhaust for you bike, we do have a full line of Universal Exhausts. I'm sure you can find something you like that would work.

Here's a link to our Universal Exhausts Product Page:
http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/universal/index.asp

You might also want to check out the Universals Video Thread to see what other riders might have done:
http://forums.supertrapp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Good luck and I hope that helps!

flying92
05-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Sorry to tag onto this thread, but I also own a Suzuki Intruder, though mine is a 750. How can we tell which of the universal products will be the best fit? I am looking for something slightly louder than stock that will give my bike a better tone. It looks like a megaphone or s/c elite might be the best option, can you offer some advice on how to choose a muffler for this application?

Thanks,
Mark

hugger
05-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Sorry to tag onto this thread, but I also own a Suzuki Intruder, though mine is a 750. How can we tell which of the universal products will be the best fit? I am looking for something slightly louder than stock that will give my bike a better tone. It looks like a megaphone or s/c elite might be the best option, can you offer some advice on how to choose a muffler for this application?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark, you can use the 4" disc Megaphone or the 4" disc S/C Elite either one will work great on your bike, it all depends on which one you like the looks of best. I believe I may have talked with you yesterday. If you get measurements of the current muffler and the outside diameter of the pipe that the SuperTrapp slides over I will be able to assit you with sizing!
Please email me at: hugger@supertrapp.com

hugger
05-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Can anyone help me find supertrapps for my 2004 intruder 1400? Have been looking so long my eyes have fallen out.:eek:

Hi Russell, same as Mark with the 750 Intruder, you can use the 4" discs mufflers if you are running 2 or the 5" disc S/C Elite if you are running one muffler. I will need the outside diameter of the pipe that the SuperTrapp will slip over and the length of you current mufflers. Email me and I will assist you from there. hugger@supertrapp.com

flying92
05-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Mark, you can use the 4" disc Megaphone or the 4" disc S/C Elite either one will work great on your bike, it all depends on which one you like the looks of best. I believe I may have talked with you yesterday. If you get measurements of the current muffler and the outside diameter of the pipe that the SuperTrapp slides over I will be able to assit you with sizing!

Is there any difference in the sound or performance of those two mufflers or is the difference just their appearance?

I am just now looking into this, so you were probably thinking of someone else.

Thanks for your help!

Mark

jwells
05-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Both will be very comparable, the SC Elite may be slightly quieter as it has more internal volume.
Both would be louder than stock muffler on your bike.

flying92
05-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the advice. The SC Elite seem to be the best fit for what I'd like.

Just two more questions...

My stock mufflers have a crossover between them. I assume if I replace them with Supertrapps, I will no longer have that - is this a concern?

Also, the existing mufflers have a welded on tab the is bolted to the frame - is there any problem with not have the replacement mufflers supported in a simialr manner?

Thanks for the help!

hugger
06-01-2009, 02:23 PM

Russell, like Gina said earlier we do not have anything specific for your bike. We do have the Universal mufflers and if you will email me your phone # I will call you and help you determine if a Universal slipon would be what you want and need! My email is: hugger@supertrapp.com

hugger
06-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the advice. The SC Elite seem to be the best fit for what I'd like.

Just two more questions...

My stock mufflers have a crossover between them. I assume if I replace them with Supertrapps, I will no longer have that - is this a concern?

Also, the existing mufflers have a welded on tab the is bolted to the frame - is there any problem with not have the replacement mufflers supported in a simialr manner?

Thanks for the help!

Please note that if you use Slipon Mufflers you will not lose your crossover. The crossover is in the headpipes.
For the mounting tabs depending on what slipon you purchase you will need to weld on the brackets that come with the muffler or use a clamp that goes around the body.

mab01376
07-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Please note that if you use Slipon Mufflers you will not lose your crossover. The crossover is in the headpipes.
For the mounting tabs depending on what slipon you purchase you will need to weld on the brackets that come with the muffler or use a clamp that goes around the body.

The cross over pipe is actually on the stock mufflers, so when using slip-ons you do lose the cross over.
Does anyone have a first hand account of using these on an Intruder 1400? I'm looking for a new system for mine, and would like to hear a success story, or possibly see some finished photos.
Thanks.

jwells
07-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Nothing apparently-did you try searching Yahoo/google?

flying92
10-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Well, I finally got my Supertrapps installed and carbs tuned and love them! Everyone on this site was helpful in making my decision, hopefully the information below helps in case someone else wants to do the same.

My bike is a 1988 Intruder 750. I chose the 17" S/C elite mufflers because the stock mufflers were 23" and the 24" Supertrapp would have been a bit too long. Removing the original muffler was a pain due to the crossover going through the battery box support but sliding on the new Supertrapps was easy. I tried using different numbers of discs... with 3 discs it was quieter than stock, and I decided to use all 12 of them. It idles slightly deeper that stock and has a racey roar under heavy acceleration. The tone is nowhere near as deep or as loud as a Harley, but that is not what I was going for and I appreciate its uniqueness. I had the carbs jetted and love the little bit of power gain I got now that the exhaust is less restricted. The hardest part of my application was because my bike has true duals. These mufflers are only available with a mounting bracket on the left side, so for the left side of my bike I had to weld a new tab on the right side of the muffler. I took the time to grind off the unneeded bracket and spent several hours polishing the area to where it is nearly unnoticable.

Total cost: just under $600 for the mufflers, $200 for jet kit + installation, and one six pack of beer for the friend that welded on the new tab. For this price I get to enjoy a one-of-a-kind sounding motorcycle.
:cool: