PDA

View Full Version : No packing left on pipes

CalanHob
04-20-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm getting a hand me down of a pair of older SE Slip on that have very little to no packing left. Will there be any performance decrease because of the lack of packing or is it just that they will sound louder but still more or less perform the same? Will there be adverse effects on the bike if I just ran the pipes as is as I believe the standard baffles on the SE are not serviceable? Will the SE Slip ons without packing sound like the standard Kerker slip ons with K3 baffles? Was thinking of going with that if ever. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

hugger
04-21-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm getting a hand me down of a pair of older SE Slip on that have very little to no packing left. Will there be any performance decrease because of the lack of packing or is it just that they will sound louder but still more or less perform the same? Will there be adverse effects on the bike if I just ran the pipes as is as I believe the standard baffles on the SE are not serviceable? Will the SE Slip ons without packing sound like the standard Kerker slip ons with K3 baffles? Was thinking of going with that if ever. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Calan, when the packing burns out you do lose some horsepower, the core can eventually break from vibration and sometimes the muffler body can discolor.

The SE baffles & packing can be purchased, part # 100-65115 for US$119.00 each (core & packing). Or you can replace the baffles with the Kerker standard baffle (K3) part # 100-7580, US$76.50 each. With the Kerker standard baffles you would only need to replace the packing in the future.

I'm not exactly sure how the SE's sound with out packing but I can tell you that the Standard Baffles have a great deep throaty sound and are louder than the SE's with new packing.
I hope this information is helpful to you.
Gerry