PDA

View Full Version : Harley Slip on fix

JGH1102
09-25-2007, 05:23 PM
After my Electroglide was recently dyno tuned, I discovered that the tech stripped out one of the bolts that hold in the disks. He twisted it so hard when he tried to remove it that it ripped out whatever the bolt screws in to, so now I only have 2 bolts holding the disks and end cap in on that muffler. Do you have any suggestions on how I can fix this? Are the baffles etc in these mufflers removeable so that I could tack weld something in there that would accept the third bolt? Thanks (I really wish this question wasn't necessary)

bschultz
09-26-2007, 09:22 AM
After my Electroglide was recently dyno tuned, I discovered that the tech stripped out one of the bolts that hold in the disks. He twisted it so hard when he tried to remove it that it ripped out whatever the bolt screws in to, so now I only have 2 bolts holding the disks and end cap in on that muffler. Do you have any suggestions on how I can fix this? Are the baffles etc in these mufflers removeable so that I could tack weld something in there that would accept the third bolt? Thanks (I really wish this question wasn't necessary)

The core assembly is servicable for repacking, so yes they are removable. Remove the muffler form the bike. The core assembly is held in with a screw towards the rear of the muffler body. Work from the inlet end with a wooden dowel (piece of broom handle) to tap the core assembly out the rear of the muffler. With the assembly out, you will have access to the nut for tack welding.

JGH1102
09-26-2007, 01:51 PM
many thanks for your reply, and I'm glad to know that there is a way to fix this. There are muffler/pipe manufacturers in the market that won't give you the time of day after you've spent a fortune on their product, and I think that this forim is just one of the many ways that Supertrapp sets itself apart from the crowd -- this and their support of motorcycle racing. Thanks again.