PDA

View Full Version : Endcap or not and what effects?

megafandrew
03-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Hey guys Im newer to the forums but Ive been reading them for some time. I have a question I have seen other posts on but it is still confusing me. I have a 2001 Yamaha warrior, its got just minor things done to it as follow's: open air box with ProFlow Designs/K&N adapter kit, a Dynojet stage 2 jet kit and of course the Supertrapp IDS2 race slip on pipe. Right now Im running it with 18 plates and the end cap/spark aresstor? cap removed. It is really loud but sounds good. What I want to know is am I getting any increase in power by removing the endcap or am I losing power? Should I put the endcap back on with the 18 plates? I only took it off to see what the sound would be. you can actually see a video of my warrior on the website here http://forums.supertrapp.com/showthread.php?t=580 with the endcap on and on page 3 of same thread my warrior again with black fenders with no endcap on. Let me know if I should put that cap back on and if I would have lost performance by removing it. Also it is the race series if I removed all the plates and endcap is there any benefit to that?

jwells
03-09-2009, 08:39 AM
So you are currently running with just the discs in place? You might as well not have anything if this is the case. You could run the 'Open End Cap' that is available. This has a tapered end cap with a smaller opening. This is equivelent to approx. 8-9 discs.
With 18 and a closed end cap you are about as free flowing as can be really?
Was there any difference when you removed the end cap? If not I would at least go back to that so your 'Legal' in the forest as well as being slightly quieter?

megafandrew
03-12-2009, 02:42 AM
So you are currently running with just the discs in place? You might as well not have anything if this is the case. You could run the 'Open End Cap' that is available. This has a tapered end cap with a smaller opening. This is equivelent to approx. 8-9 discs.
With 18 and a closed end cap you are about as free flowing as can be really?
Was there any difference when you removed the end cap? If not I would at least go back to that so your 'Legal' in the forest as well as being slightly quieter?

hello thankyou jwells for the reply. To tell you the honest truth, the quad feels like it lost some of its power/torque it had when I removed the endcap. I am going to put the cap back on tommorow Im pretty sure it will perform better then, also i think it does sound better with the endcap on especially in the higher rpm range. Thanks for the input as I am still fairly new to the tuning stuff. And although not a whole lot quieter, it will reduce my risk of getting caught by somebody I dont want to be caught by! Thanks, Drew Ill let you know if I do in fact notice a slight gain in the performance after putting it back on

jwells
03-12-2009, 07:51 AM
That is what I would expect. You may even try taking a few discs out and trying that, maybe 2 at a time. If nothing else, so you learn what effect it has on the motor.
Just be sure to use plenty of anti-seize on the threads of the screws and dont' overtighten them.
Have fun with it.

megafandrew
03-14-2009, 01:52 PM
That is what I would expect. You may even try taking a few discs out and trying that, maybe 2 at a time. If nothing else, so you learn what effect it has on the motor.
Just be sure to use plenty of anti-seize on the threads of the screws and dont' overtighten them.
Have fun with it.

Thanks I will explore the tuning by removing disks, one time I did do this I found it almost a little more torquey in the low rpm range while running I think it was mabey 12 discs? not sure now. I put the end cap back on although seeing as it is winter and my razr's dont seem to hook up well, I cant really tell what acceleration is like :D Quick question about that cap, you know how it is shaped like a bubbled out disc? Should that bubble be facing inwards or outwards to the tip of the muffler? ex.

inwards: )llllll outwards: (lllll It seems as though the natural curves of the discs it fits better inwards but Im not sure if thats right. Would it make a big difference? O and by the way yesterday while having some fun in the snow doing donuts and the likes, my chain fell right off the quad., no damage was done and it will be fixed up today lol.

jwells
03-16-2009, 07:34 AM
The end cap with be facing outwards (IIIII
Yes fewer discs will typically give a little better bottom end power.

megafandrew
03-17-2009, 05:53 PM
The end cap with be facing outwards (IIIII
Yes fewer discs will typically give a little better bottom end power.

Thanks I put it in wrong then, I will be going outside after dinner to flip it around. Thanks for the help jwells Im enjoying these forums so far! :) I will let you know if anything changes or if I need more help with tuning

jwells
03-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Thank you.