PDA

View Full Version : I have a mystery Kerker K2

hodgi
02-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Hi, I have what I'm guessing to be an older Kerker K2 muffler that came on my newly acquired '81 Kawi GPZ 550. It's Very off-season up here and so am rebuilding the bike and would also like to make sure the muffler is working properly. Possibly even upgrade the baffle. I don't imagine this muffler was enginered for this bike, but it suits the bike so well that I'd like to tune the muffler to make it work. Not sure if it matters but the bike now has a fresh Wiseco BB kit (615), 4-1 pipe, and Dynojet stage 3.

I've done lots of searching on your site here and can't find any info on this muffler or for replacement parts. There is no stamped part number under the clamp. The tube is 12" long (15" overall) and 2.5" inlet. Any info you can supply me would be much appreciated. Thanx! Going to try to attach a pic.

jwells
02-03-2009, 07:59 AM
We did make something for that way back when, still have a system for the 84-85.
Looks like that muffler body was modified for you application, normally a part number would be stamped on the inlet or the bracket. Looks like the original bracket may have been removed?
Regardless, 2.5" core is pretty big, we spec a 2 on the later model, with the big bore kit, it should work great.
I would suggest just taking it apart, clean it all up/repack it and put it back on and ride it.
You can get packing material from us-through the webstore, use the repack kit for the 4" or you can also get it locally thru your favorite shop.

hodgi
02-05-2009, 02:01 PM
That's great, thanks alot. If I want or need a baffle for it, what's the part number I should look for? Or even what series of muffler would I look up for replacement parts for this one?

I looked at it again and I don't think it's been modified. The mount bracket is on the backside of the nameplate, it's tigged on and allows for about 2-3inches of horizontal adjustment. And the 2.5" inlet has 4 slots to allow for clamping that don't look like a hack job. (That's the part that makes me think it hasn't been modified) ;)

Anyway, if you could steer me towards a baffle for it to get it back to where it needs to be would be great, Thanks!

Mark

ginap
02-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Contact our Customer Service Department and ask if our part number 100-6400 which is a Competition Baffle for Kerker K Series, 2.50" O.D. (2.50" inlet) will work.

216-265-8400 x. 128.

hugger
04-13-2009, 07:53 AM
You can use part # 100-6399 (2") or part # 100-6400 (2.5") for your Kerker K-Series muffler. Also on the backside of the bracket there might be 2 letters stamped onto it. ie "KH", "KI", "KK", "KL". Any questions please contact me in customer service ext 128, 216-265-8400.