PDA

View Full Version : Wish to change from S&S SPO and true duals

Ken R
09-23-2008, 11:03 PM
O.K. I've read all the stickies and also any existing posts that look like they may help me. I've learned a lot, but not enough to make the decision to take my S&S SPO mufflers off my 02 Ultra and go to another system.

With the SPO mufflers and true duals, I have a deep and wide dip in the torque curve that starts at about 2,200 RPM and ends at about 3,200 RPM. Well heck, this is where I always ride. It's embarrassing to be the first of my group that needs to stop for gas. No matter how soft I ride and what speed, I get 34 to 35 mph. I attribute this relatively poor mileage to the 2:2 and SPO mufflers.

My '02 Ultra is an 88 cubic inch with Doherty air cleaner, Andrews 21(N) cams, Bishop Stage 1 heads 2:2 exhaust with SPO mufflers. Fuel management is via a Power Commander III usb. I also installed a Baker DD-6 transmission (builder kit) and enjoy crusing at 70mph in 6th gear. Future plans for this Fall is to punch it out to 95 cubic inches for a little more oomph to push the 6th gear.

I want a quiet motor for touring with highest efficiency between 2,000 and 3,000 rpms for best mileage. I'm one of the more rare Harley riders that likes a quiet motorcycle.

So, what SuperTrapp product is for me? We'll get into how many disks once I've made the decision to part with money and install the new system.

Ken

bschultz
09-24-2008, 08:09 AM
There are an infinite number of performance combinations/modifications. Just swapping out a pipe to reach your goal is a high expectation; however our 2:1 SuperTrapp SuperMeg has been a consistent performance enhancer with stock and mildly modified machines. It's relatively quiet (deep/throaty sound) for a performance pipe and you have the benefit of the disc assembly which allows you to control the exhaust flow by adding or removing discs.

mnrkrider
10-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Ken,
Dump the SPO mufflers and go with the Supermeg. Just let me get my SPO mufflers on Ebay first!

Ken R
01-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Ken,
Dump the SPO mufflers and go with the Supermeg. Just let me get my SPO mufflers on Ebay first!

Mine are gone. I actually had two sets. (bought the first from a dealer and the second from an individual for an absolute bargain; he didn't like 'em).

My originals were scratched up so I threw them away. The other set, I sold for twice what I paid for 'em. So I'm happy.

I'm using Screamin' Eagle Street Touring Performance mufflers now and absolutely love 'em. Dyno tune with 21N cams and 95 cu in shows torque over 105 ft lbs at 2750 rpm. (right where I cruise on the highway).

I'm a happy camper.

Ken