PDA

View Full Version : repacking supermeg?

jeff
07-12-2008, 09:48 PM
I have about 30,000-35,000 on my 2:1 supermeg (04 flht) and I was wondering about repacking the core. Does the packing do anything in regards to performance or is it just for sound deading? Mine are not that loud (running with open end cap and 12 discs) so if it is souly for sound then I will leave it but if it has an effect on performance I will pull it. thanks jeff

bschultz
07-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Besides sound deadening and temperature insulating properties, the packing allows for a nice clean flow through the core. Once the packing starts to deteriorate, the exhaust can get up in the can via the perf tube and cause turbulence and less efficient flow, potentially hurting performance.
Like the increase in sound, it is gradual and may not be noticed. Until one day, you think to your self, "Sounds louder" and/or "Performance doesn't seem the same".

jeff
07-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks, what is the part number for the packing kit? 04 flht supermeg 2:1.

bschultz
07-15-2008, 08:05 AM
"Pillow Pack" P/N 004-7093
You or your local shop/dealer can order this product directly from our customer service number.

jeff
07-16-2008, 04:18 PM
talked to Bruce on the phone today and he was a very helpful guy. Thanks jeff

Murf
07-22-2008, 09:55 PM
I'd like to jump in here if it's O.K. How do I get the baffle out of a Super Meg? It has been in there several years.

Thanks, Murf

bschultz
07-23-2008, 08:47 AM
It's best to work at removing the core with the muffler off the bike. There are a couple button head screws on the outside of the muffler body near the rear of the pipe securing the core assembly. Remove the button head screws and friction is the only thing holding the core in the muffler. Work at knocking the core out the back of the body with a wooden dowel (piece of broom handle) from the inlet end. A little PB Blaster (penatrating oil), maybe some heat, a lot of patience and persistence should do the trick.

jeff
07-24-2008, 06:57 PM
my pillow pack arrived today and my core came right out with no problem, I did not have to use anything to get it out just a light tap with a dowel. I expected the packing to be pretty much gone after ~35,000 miles but it was still in very good shape and none of it was burned off, both inside and outside covers were completely intact. There of course was no way to reinstall the original packing as it got messed up when pulling the core out. The pillow pack must be good stuff and I won't be checking it again for at least 50,000 more miles based on how it looked at 35,000.

bschultz
07-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Glad to hear things went well.

jeff
07-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Bruce, again thanks for the help. the fed ex showed up right after I talked to you. did you by chance find out anything on the rear pipe heat shield. I could not find a number on the end of the headers when I removed the megaphone. thanks jeff

bschultz
07-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Give me a call.