PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a turbo diesel with a SuperTrapp?

BeaverBill
05-17-2008, 06:09 AM
Hello there. I currently live in Europe and I'm the owner of a '98 2.0i TD Honda Civic. I've been shopping around for the right silencer for my TD but I'm not quite sure the differences between a gas powered vehicle's silencer and a diesel's. In my searches I've stumbled upon SuperTrapp and, after flipping through your website, have grown attracted to the tunability of a SuperTrapp. As I'm relatively new to tuning, I'm left with a few questions of where to start and how to tune the exhaust. I wonder if any of you can help answer a few questions.

1. What are the differences between a silencer for diesel and gas powered vehicles? Will a SuperTrapp work for both?

2. What measurements do I have to take into account when fitting a SuperTrapp?

i. Interior or exterior exhaust tube measurements?

ii. Silencer length? Longer or shorter? Supposedly, the best set up for a TD is an open exhaust (no back pressure) therefore benefitting from unrestricted turbo spooling....

iii. Mounting?

iv. Exhaust gas volume?

3. Does an automotive SuperTrapp allow repacking? From the info gained from my searches I've come to the conclusion that diesels run higher temperatures than gas powered vehicles. As I've also installed a tuning box which allows me to tune "on the fly" which overfuels to gain extra torque and HP therefore, I assume, my exhaust temps are probably higher than normal during heavy accelerating. ( I don't yet have a exhaust temp guage to provide figures). Will I burn out the packing? I'm also worried about soot build up.

4. Sound? I'm a bit worried about sounding like a farm tractor, but I'm realistic.. it's a diesel. What would a diesel sound like with a SuperTrapp? What SuperTrapp would give me a bassy growl?

Thanking you all beforehand for the attention,

BB

bschultz
05-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Hello there. I currently live in Europe and I'm the owner of a '98 2.0i TD Honda Civic. I've been shopping around for the right silencer for my TD but I'm not quite sure the differences between a gas powered vehicle's silencer and a diesel's. In my searches I've stumbled upon SuperTrapp and, after flipping through your website, have grown attracted to the tunability of a SuperTrapp. As I'm relatively new to tuning, I'm left with a few questions of where to start and how to tune the exhaust. I wonder if any of you can help answer a few questions.

1. What are the differences between a silencer for diesel and gas powered vehicles? Will a SuperTrapp work for both?
We normally do not reccomend the use of a SuperTrapp on a Diesel application due to the potential exhaust residue buildup which may occur. Turbocharging can also result in higher EGT's resulting in premature fiberglass breakdown.

2. What measurements do I have to take into account when fitting a SuperTrapp?

i. Interior or exterior exhaust tube measurements?
O.D. of pipe/I,D of muffler inlet

ii. Silencer length? Longer or shorter? Supposedly, the best set up for a TD is an open exhaust (no back pressure) therefore benefitting from unrestricted turbo spooling....
The larger the muffler, the more sound deadening capability. Expect to run at least twice as many discs on a forced induction machine as a normally aspirated.
iii. Mounting?
Different mounting systems are supplied with different styles/series.
iv. Exhaust gas volume?
As long as the I.D. of the muffler is ,at least, the size of the O.D. of the pipe it will be installed on exhaust flow should be sufficient.
3. Does an automotive SuperTrapp allow repacking? From the info gained from my searches I've come to the conclusion that diesels run higher temperatures than gas powered vehicles. As I've also installed a tuning box which allows me to tune "on the fly" which overfuels to gain extra torque and HP therefore, I assume, my exhaust temps are probably higher than normal during heavy accelerating. ( I don't yet have a exhaust temp guage to provide figures). Will I burn out the packing? I'm also worried about soot build up.
Another reason we do not reccomend the SuperTrapp for Deisel and/or forced air induction. Yes, the fiberglass will burn out and the muffler is serviceable.
4. Sound? I'm a bit worried about sounding like a farm tractor, but I'm realistic.. it's a diesel. What would a diesel sound like with a SuperTrapp? What SuperTrapp would give me a bassy growl?
We have not fitted a SuperTrapp on an application similar to the one you describe. We're not sure what it might sound like.
Thanking you all beforehand for the attention,

BB

BeaverBill
05-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the straightforward honest reply bschultz,

BB

gunny
12-15-2008, 08:16 PM
to quiet that turbo diesel and get better performance as well , you need to increase the size of the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold back. I currently run a 2.75 inch exhaust on my 86' TD VW golf. It's just a little bit louder than stock, but with a deeper tone so it does seem quieter. The straight through exhaust lets the diesel stretch its legs very well and helps to keep egt down on those long grades and when you just want to step on the go pedal.