PDA

View Full Version : Inside of the IDSX muffler glowing red

firehawk
05-14-2008, 05:30 PM
I've mounted up an ISDX on my '07 Polaris Hawkeye, and last evening my son informed me the inside of the muffler was glowing red. Sure enough it was, it was starting to get dark and was very obvious. We had been "racing" each other so I had been running it kinda hard. I stopped and pulled the plug to see if I was running lean, and apparently it's not. The plug was a nice tan color. I have also installed a DynoJet kit in the carb, so the quad has been rejetted. This was done before I mounted the SuperTrapp muffler. The quad runs fine no backfire when snapping the throttle closed, which I've heard can be symptom of a lean condition too.:confused:

I guess I'm wanting to know if this can be considered normal? It was the disc's themselves that were glowing. The outer SS skin of the muffler is turning blue right about where the disc assembly starts also. Appreciate any info anyone has on this.

bschultz
05-15-2008, 08:38 AM
What you have experianced is not unusual; however with proper tuning should be eliminated.
How many discs are you running? Was the plug new when the pipe was put on? Any other mods beside jetting; air filter or air box mods?

firehawk
05-15-2008, 11:39 AM
What you have experianced is not unusual; however with proper tuning should be eliminated.
How many discs are you running? Was the plug new when the pipe was put on? Any other mods beside jetting; air filter or air box mods?

I'm running 10 disc's. The plug was not new, but is not the factory plug. I'm not a big fan of K&N, or foam filters. Where I ride most of the time is VERY dusty. I plan on sticking with the paper filter. I went with the jet that was recommended by DynoJet, but did raise the e-clip on the needle one slot. I have noticed that since mounting the muffler I don't need to use the choke to get it to start anymore.

How can it be eliminated? Is it running slightly lean even though the plug looks good?:confused:

bschultz
05-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Sounds like you may be running rich (no choke start). OEM air boxes are normally very restricive. The air intake may not be sufficent to match the fuel increase. You may want to (detune) go back to stock jetting and drop the number of discs to 6-8. The efficiency of the machine should improve and performance may not suffer.