PDA

View Full Version : I want my Harley gurgle back

filterking
05-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Hello, I have a UK '08 Nightster, which comes with the tapered silencers (quiet). I prefered the look of the US spec silencers, so I got the Harley Script baloney cut ones (also quiet) so I drilled and poked at that washer half way down the inside for a bit and then they sounded great - I used to love just bumbling along at lowish revs listening to the sound reflecting of walls or as I passed cars etc. (a sort of V8 gurgly burble sound, kind of like an outboard motor or old propeller plane) .....Then I saw the Supertrapp XR Style 2-2 pipes!
After putting them on I totally love the looks, and they do sound ace when you cane it through the gears and on the overrun as well- but that low speed gurglyburblyness has gone -it's like an annoying BANG BANG BANG BANG now. I notice that the standard pipes have a (camouflaged) balance pipe - does this affect the sound? - should I make a balance pipe?
As for sound quantity, I did start with 20 discs/closed end cap per pipe, but this was too loud, I then went to 8D/CEC, this was more acceptable, but I've now found out that you can get open end caps (approx = to 10 discs). So I'd like to know what difference to sound (quality), for instance, 10 discs with closed EC or no discs with open EC makes.
Basically I want to get some combination of discs/ no discs/ open end cap/ closed end cap, to get the burble back.
I now have a Zodiac TFI fuel module fitted and will be getting an air filter soon
Thanks.

bschultz
05-14-2008, 08:01 AM
There are no combination of discs and end caps or balance tube that will get you burble back with the SuperTrapp pipes.

filterking
05-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Why is that then - what's different about supertrapp and other pipes?

bschultz
05-14-2008, 04:09 PM
http://www.supertrapp.com/resource/faqs.asp