PDA

View Full Version : 1985 klr250 - there's one already on there!

klr250klr250
05-04-2008, 11:31 AM
i have a '85 kawi klr250 with a supertrapp tunable aluminum exhaust on it with around 6 plates on it running a 122/35 main/idle jet. am i running the right setup? sounds great either way :)

bschultz
05-05-2008, 07:02 AM
How's your plug look? If you have a nice tan burn on it your good. If it's dark (rich) add a disc (or two).

klr250klr250
05-05-2008, 04:30 PM
How's your plug look? If you have a nice tan burn on it your good. If it's dark (rich) add a disc (or two).

the previous one was carbon-fouled. i replaced it but it's starting to get dark too. i'd hate to add more plates (too noisy :)... should i just use a smaller main jet?

klr250klr250
05-05-2008, 06:12 PM
the previous one was carbon-fouled. i replaced it but it's starting to get dark too. i'd hate to add more plates (too noisy :)... should i just use a smaller main jet?

reason i'm asking these questions is that my bike hesitates on hard acceleration and/or steady rpm in the mid to high range. i've cleaned the carb, replaced the float needle, checked spark, swapped out the ignition coil, cleaned the fuel filter (and ran it straight), etc.. and the problem exists. originially i thought it might be running too lean, but it looks like it's running too rich.

bschultz
05-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Removing all the discs (flowing the core) may tell you if you need more exhaust flow or a need for rejetting (for use with fewer discs).
Moving the clip up on the needle jet may be a solution before changing the main jet.
If all else fails, go back to stock jetting and 4-5 discs.

klr250klr250
05-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Removing all the discs (flowing the core) may tell you if you need more exhaust flow or a need for rejetting (for use with fewer discs).
Moving the clip up on the needle jet may be a solution before changing the main jet.
If all else fails, go back to stock jetting and 4-5 discs.

thanks! turns out that someone had installed a washer under the needle (my needle didn't have clip indents). it was .052" thick.

after removing it and with 4 plates, the motor pulled much better than before. after putting back all the 8 plates, it seems to have mostly solved the problem. :)

the motor does die out at around 7500rpm and then kick back in, which sounds like a rev limiter and not a supertrapp/tuning issue. thanks again.