PDA

View Full Version : SuperTrapp repair

Mini GS 91
04-07-2011, 03:56 PM
I have a 449-4518 on my Mini Cooper S which I use primarily for Autocrossing. For most competitive events I run it without plates. However, to run it on the street, I really need to have some plates on. But when I came to reinstall the plates recently, I found that the nuts on the inside of the end plate into which the 6 bolts are screwed are loose and I cannot reattach the plates. How can I repair it?

bschultz
04-08-2011, 07:15 AM
The core assembly can be removed from the muffler body by removing the buttonhead screw(s) on the outside of the muffler body, on the bottom near the end (exit). You can then knock the core assembly out the exit end by using a wooden dowel (broom handle), working at it from the inlet end.
With the core out of the body, the nuts can be reattached via tack welds or a “new” replacement core can be inserted.

Mini GS 91
04-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Thank you. Now to get the SuperTrapp off the tailpipe!

Mini GS 91
04-10-2011, 04:58 PM
I managed to get the SuperTrapp off, eventually. But there is nothing on the inside against which I can push with a dowel or broom handle, as you have suggested! The inlet pipe of the trap has a smaller ID than the ID of the perforated tube that runs all the way to the exit, and flange at the exit fits around this perforated tube. So there is nothing at the inlet end against which to push and nothing at the outlet end either. Any further suggestions?

bschultz
04-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Attach the closed end-cap, this will give you a surface to work against.