PDA

View Full Version : New Fishtail tips for an older set of slip-ons

bluewaterchief
02-27-2011, 12:17 PM
I just purchased a pair of fishtail muffler tips for and older set of Kerker slip-ons. WTF, what holds the screws? There is no way to mount these things! All the pictures showing these tips mounted on mufflers show a button head cap screw (there are actually three) holding the tips on the mufflers and that's how my original ones are mounted onto my mufflers but the holes in the new flanges are too big and NOT threaded. I can't have gotten a bad set because I bought a pair of turnouts at the same time (for a bit of variety) and they are the same way with the additional problem of not having the inner flange which holds the back end of the baffles in my mufflers. Am I missing something here? Or did the engineers have a brain fart?

jeff
02-28-2011, 03:44 AM
the nut inserts are mounted in the baffles. Did you or someone else remove the baffles?

bschultz
02-28-2011, 07:56 AM
The button head screws secure the end-caps & baffle assembly. The screws go through the muffler body and end-cap and thread into the nut inserts in the baffle.

bluewaterchief
02-28-2011, 12:16 PM
The button head screws secure the end-caps & baffle assembly. The screws go through the muffler body and end-cap and thread into the nut inserts in the baffle.

Okay, I get it! I knew it had to be something like that. These mufflers are over twenty years old, they got redesigned. Now that you bring it up it makses sense to put the screw all the way through into the baffles the old ones always did rattle in these things that's one of the reasons why I took them out in the first place. Cool, I can make a stainless insert ring with some nuts on it because I'm not buying new baffles. It sounds too good the way it is.

Thanks guys.

bluewaterchief
02-28-2011, 06:34 PM
I posted a pic just to follow up on these old Kerker tips for the next old timer. You can see how the screw used to thread directly into the tip, not the baffle. You can also see the ring inside the tip; that is what used to hold the end of the baffle in place. It's not hard to see how worn out it is, hence the rattling baffles. That's probably the reason for the re-design on these things. Once again guys thanks a lot and keep the rubber side down.

bschultz
03-01-2011, 08:08 AM
No one within the company has seen a Kerker end-cap of that design.

bluewaterchief
03-01-2011, 07:20 PM
No one within the company has seen a Kerker end-cap of that design.

Hahahaa, this was originally my Dad's bike and he put these mufflers on it four years after he got it. He has always told me they were Kerker mufflers. He says the guys at the dealership kept calling them Kerkers. Anyway, he saves everthing and when I inherited the bike I got all the take-offs with it. So when I saw the quote above, I thought, I'd get home, dig them up and post a pic of the lable to prove it. Yeah, guess what? They're Harley aftermaket! Uh huh, the joke's on me. In any event I have the sneaky suspicion that Kerker did manufacture these for Harley back in the day, and like I said earlier they're maybe twenty years old so I wouldn't, doubt anybody's seen anything like these before.