PDA

View Full Version : IDS setup

George
09-22-2010, 10:56 PM
After some research and help from your website, my new pipes are on the way, #628-78055.

On a stock '10 Road King, can you advise on #of discs side-to-side? At one point I recall reading here that 8-10 should do the trick, but looking at some dyno runs it seems there were more on one side than the other...

If there's no appreciable difference I'll just start with what's recommended and go from there.

bschultz
09-23-2010, 07:07 AM
The pre-'09 OEM stock crossover pipe design is a little different and the percentage of exhaust gases from left to right under normal operation very noticable. It's still noticable on the '10's & later, just not so pronounced. 10 discs per side on an 2010 model should be a good starting point for tuning.

George
09-23-2010, 09:37 PM
As always, a prompt & informed response that I can understand. I'll do as you say and just take a "back of the hand" feel of the pipes prior to installing the end caps. If flow is roughly the same I'll leave it at that.

Looking forward to this. They should be here tomorrow, and sometime this weekend I'll pass on my first impressions.

Again, thanks for the support forum - it's really helped influence my choice of exhaust.

bschultz
09-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Appreciate the positive feedback.

George
09-27-2010, 10:36 PM
After puttering over the weekend, here are my 'seat of the pants' results.

Each run was performed w/a warm engine, 6th gear roll-on after what I consider to be an early shift (60 mph). I chose 6th because any flat spots/stuttering are most noticeable in OD, and that's the range I've been hoping to improve. All runs were made on the same moderate hill and temps/humidty remained fairly consistant.

I began with extremes, wanting to establish what occured at both ends of the spectrum. 1st was a 6 disc pass, followed by an 18 disc. The most significant performance drop was by far the 18 disc run. Midrange and up ran badly enough that I began to get concerned with a too lean condition, and the ECM wasn't keeping up.

The next 2 runs were with 8 and 12 discs, and here the differences seemed academic, with 8 feeling slightly better.

Last was a 10 disc pass, and with those numbers I've left it be. Definite improvement in the roll-on, and they sound great!

You guys have a good product here - best wishes to all, and thanks again for all the technical input.

I'll be in touch as other improvements are made to the intake system - filter and a remap of some sort, after more research.

bschultz
09-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Again, thanks for the positive feedback and your test results, keep us posted.