PDA

View Full Version : Pulling exhaust off?

Nate R
11-20-2007, 10:37 PM
I have what I believe is a version of the 4" aluminum racing exhaust on my XL600 Honda. Pulled it off but the midpipe is stuck on it. I removed the clamp, but can't get the muffler off the midpipe!

Any tips on seperating the muffler from the midpipe so I can pull the core out to repack?

bschultz
11-21-2007, 07:31 AM
I have what I believe is a version of the 4" aluminum racing exhaust on my XL600 Honda. Pulled it off but the midpipe is stuck on it. I removed the clamp, but can't get the muffler off the midpipe!

Any tips on seperating the muffler from the midpipe so I can pull the core out to repack?

Make sure there is not a safety pin/rivet in the inlet of the muffler (under where the clamp was). This pin goes through the body, core and pipe. Beyond the safety pin just use a lit of PB Blaster (penatrating oil), mabybe some heat and a lot of patience.

Nate R
11-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Hmm, PB blaster isn't helping me much if at all.

Got the shell loose from the core, but the midpipe is still stuck on so I can't remove the shell completely. I guess heat is next. Where should I direct it? Right on the shell so it heats up the core?

bschultz
11-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Apply heat to the area, as much as possible, where the midpipe and core are mated. Repeat, alternating oil and heat applications.