PDA

View Full Version : Beefing-up the mounting bracket on SuperMegs

s.stewart
04-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Call me paranoid. I rode a '73 FLH for 31 years. The shovelhead vibration's broke anything that wasn't rubber mounted on (a fact that might explain why I only fathered one child, but; we won't go there). Anyhow, hanging the SuperMegs's mass off my '02 Heritage Softail's transmission's studs really gave me a case of the 'willeys'.

I restored my confidence by cutting off the mounting plate from the stock cross-over tubes. (The stock mounting plate bolts to the bikes's frame using two 3/8" studs). I then drilled two holes through the top of the stock mounting plate and straight through SuperTrapp's supplied mounting bracket. A couple of standoff's later and my Supermegs are now secured to the frame in six locations.

I put 143K miles on the old exhaust system and am confident of doing the same with the new.

bschultz
04-30-2010, 09:02 AM
We really haven’t had any issues with our 2:1 Softail/Dyna systems mounting off the tranny; however that doesn’t mean something can’t be improved upon. Sounds like you made it bullet proof and I’ll pass your mod along to our R&D department.

s.stewart
04-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Didn't think there were any companies left who really gave a damn. Refreashing. Let me know if you need some picts.

Steve Stewart