PDA

View Full Version : XR650L installation help

vlsgmc
04-24-2010, 02:37 AM
IDS2 (quiet) for 2009 Honda XR650L.
Purchased new in box from Powersport Superstore.
Supertrapp part # 611-3601 packaging dated 11/23/09
Lemans Corporation # 611-36012

The silencer and inlet pipe will NOT fit together. The inlet pipe is only slightly smaller in diameter than the inner slotted steel section of the silencer and will not fit inside it, or outside it. It would make sense for the solid end of the inlet pipe to fit between the two slotted portions of the silencer, but it looks like it would have to slide in quite a way IOT bolt to the hanger. The silencer part number is 027-2221. Is this even the correct part for my application? The inlet pipe seams to fit the header fine.

Anyone know what days Supertrapp is open? The instructions and web site only list hours.

vlsgmc
04-24-2010, 04:57 PM
With some not so gentle persuasion I made the opening in the silencer large enough to insert the inlet pipe about one inch (inside both layers, not between). It goes in only to where the slits in the silencer end. This makes the silencer sit so far back that the hanger bracket sits at about a 45 degree angle and the silencer end cap may make contact with the rear fender. The silencer to inlet pipe is so tight, it will not rotate to set up the alignment, making it necessary to remove the inlet pipe from the header over and over. Looks like the only way to make it work will be to shorten the inlet pipe.

vlsgmc
04-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Removed the finish and some metal from the end of the pipe to see if it would improve the fit; no improvement. The end of the inlet pipe and the steel interior layer of the silencer are too close to the same size. Either the silencer should be larger inside diameter, or the inlet pipe should be smaller.

Cutting the inlet pipe and inserting it only about one inch into the silencer may not provide enough support, esp since this kit does away with the bracket mount on the inlet pipe.

As a note, the forward end of the inlet pipe is flared several inches back and is a wonderful fit to the stock header.

bschultz
04-26-2010, 07:05 AM
Check the relief cuts on the inlet of the muffler. Sometimes we miss an inlet where the relief cuts may need deburring, which prevents full insertion and/or issues with assembly. If need contact customer service to file a warranty claim.

vlsgmc
04-26-2010, 08:31 PM
That's what it was. I found the raised areas at the end of each cut, and ground them down. Even after that it took a while to get the inlet pipe far enough in. Grease, insert, remove, repeat. Sorry if that sounds kinky. Finished it late Sunday night after I found that none of the local dealers had the stock exhaust seal, so there was no going back to stock for a while.

Thanks