PDA

View Full Version : IDS2 - Loose/Broken disc nuts

oldtimertc
03-08-2010, 11:17 AM
I have an IDS2 on my XR650L and the disc's are rattling around like crazy.
I pulled off the end-cap and removed the disc and realized all 3 nuts have "broken loose" but are still inplace. Can I send my exhaust to supertrapp for repair and repacking ? Or can I easily replace that inner core where the 3 nuts are broken loose ?

Thanks

bschultz
03-09-2010, 07:21 AM
We do not operate a "repair" facility. You can call our Customer Service Department to file a warranty claim if the item is within one year of purchase. We can also provide assistance with a tech sheet for repacking which requires the removal of the core assembly (which will give you access to the nuts for repair).

oldtimertc
03-09-2010, 11:27 AM
OK, I'm sure I am out of any warranty status. Beside's this is probably more related to "wear and tear" than anything.

Can you point me in the direction of the "tech " sheet for repacking ?
I think I will need to order the following...

1 ea 301-2217 Quiet core
1 ea 301-3209 Packing
1 ea 305-3525 Endcap, nameplate, rivets
1 ea 090-2622 High temp lube.

I think that should cover it ?

bschultz
03-09-2010, 01:47 PM
To replace the packing or remove the core you need to do the following:

1. Take the muffler off of the bike.

2. Remove the endcap (3 screws holding it on).

3. Remove the screw that is on the bottom of the backend of the muffler (holds
the core in).

4. There are 2 rivits holding the nameplate, drill out rivit nearest to the back end of muffler.

5. Put a dowel or handle of some sort into the inlet end of the muffler, at this point it will either hit a screen or it will go all the way down to the disks. Tap against the disks or the screen and push the core out the back end of the muffler.
If you have the screen that means you have the Quiet core, if you can see straight thru to the disks then you have the race core.

6. When you get the core out you will need to remove any left over packing, then just make sure the holes in the perforated tube are clear.
Wrap the new packing around the tube, use masking tape at the top and around the middle to hold the packing in place then line up the holes and shove the core back in.