PDA

View Full Version : Fatshots loosing sound

Bahraini_VRSCDX
12-21-2009, 03:48 AM
I just installed my Fatshots for the night rod special 09.

while comparing the sound i got on the first days when i installed it and nowaday, i feel that it became more (quiter).

ive noticed that the disk and the closed end cap are becoming black? is that normal?

btw, im running on stock ECU with 9 disks.

thanks

bschultz
12-21-2009, 07:29 AM
There is normally a direct corelation between the disc color and the burn on the spark plug. Tan/gold being normal, light/ashy grey indicating a lean condition and dark/sooty indicating a rich running condition. Check the burn on your plugs and add a disc or two which should also provide more sound.

Bahraini_VRSCDX
12-22-2009, 01:43 AM
There is normally a direct corelation between the disc color and the burn on the spark plug. Tan/gold being normal, light/ashy grey indicating a lean condition and dark/sooty indicating a rich running condition. Check the burn on your plugs and add a disc or two which should also provide more sound.
So let me get this straight.

I can know if the bike it running lean or rich by the color on the disk?

from the way im looking at it (the disk and end cap) have turned black, does this mean that it is running rich?

im currently running on 9 disks for a stock ECU and stock filters, so what harm would there be if i added 10 Disks? or 12 Disks? on my current setup.

Thank you

bschultz
12-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Unless there is another, unrelated internal issue with your engine, normally there is a direct corelation between the disc color and the burn on the spark plug. Again, to confirm this I would check the burn on your spark plugs.
Adding a couple of discs should not have any adverse affects to your engines performance.

Bahraini_VRSCDX
12-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Unless there is another, unrelated internal issue with your engine, normally there is a direct corelation between the disc color and the burn on the spark plug. Again, to confirm this I would check the burn on your spark plugs.
Adding a couple of discs should not have any adverse affects to your engines performance.
but doesnt Supertrapp advise to run with 8-10 on a stock setup?

any harm known for running on 12 disks?

kz550
12-22-2009, 10:03 AM
...add a disc or two...http://www.zxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/plusone.gifAdding a couple discs will have a two-fold affect. First it will help to resolve the sooty black rich condition by opening up your exhaust and ever-so-slightly leaning the combustion mixture, adding power. The other lesser known affect will be that when you remove the 9 diffusers, the act of doing so alone should restore their spacing enough so it will act & sound like it did originally. The fact that you'll be adding a couple more discs only enhances the situation.

Going from 9 to 19-21 discs sounds drastic. Add/remove them in increments of two until you feel you're close. Then fine tune your power characteristics down to a single disc. Whether it be 9 or 14 discs, will depend on what you're looking for (power/sound/exhaust color, etc).

hugger
12-28-2009, 08:29 AM
I just installed my Fatshots for the night rod special 09.

while comparing the sound i got on the first days when i installed it and nowaday, i feel that it became more (quiter).

ive noticed that the disk and the closed end cap are becoming black? is that normal?

btw, im running on stock ECU with 9 disks.

thanks

If the discs and endcap are becoming black that is a sign that you are running too rich, if you look at your plugs they are probably dark also.

You need to add a couple of discs, you will move the power band up and you will have more sound.

If the discs & endcap are really sooty you might want to take them off, place them on an old cookie sheet, heat them up and spray with oven cleaner (20 minutes), then wipe them off and put them back on the mufflers.

Bahraini_VRSCDX
12-29-2009, 01:46 AM
thanks guys. i appreciate your help.

i added a disk yesterday (10 Disks) and hopefully that solve's the problem with sound/richness.

BTW, i still didnt get a clear answer about running on 12 disks on a stock setup?
What will happen exactly?

jwells
12-30-2009, 11:03 AM
generally; 12 discs is a lot for a stock bike, it COULD be on the lean side, BUT tuning is NOT a specific science, every motorcycle runs a little bit different.
It sometimes requires you to adjust to achieve the perfect number of discs for your specific motorcyle. That is the beauty of a disc based system.

Bahraini_VRSCDX
12-31-2009, 04:14 AM
thanks guys, appreciate all the help.

take care, and happy new years