PDA

View Full Version : Can't remove endcaps, screws just turn

NewRide88
12-06-2009, 07:28 PM
I recently purchased an 1988 vmax with supertrapps containing 10 4inch discs. I bought some great looking open endcaps for the mufflers, though when i was trying to remove the screws that hold the discs, they start coming out fine, get half way and then they look stripped and now just keep turning. Is there any easy way to get these things out? I've tried 5 screws and they all do the same (there's 6 screws each muffler). Removing the muffler isn't really an option as it's been joined welded to the rest of the pipe..
Also there's a bolt underneath, what does that do (guessing holds the baffles)?
Any help would be appreciated.

bschultz
12-07-2009, 08:16 AM
The core assembly needs to come out for repair and/or replacement. The button head screw on the outside of the muffler body near the end and friction are the only things holding the core assembly in. Normally we would advise to make a makeshift puller and attach it with two opposing disc screws. Normally one or two screws/nuts may break free; however, since 5 of the 6 screws are spinning that won’t be possible. You need to devise a way to remove the core assembly from the muffler body. A local machine shop may be of assistance

NewRide88
01-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks very much for your help!